Friday 24 December 2010

An old Christmas Punch from Denmark


Julianes Gløgg
Here is an ancient recipe I was given by an old Lady from Ebeltoft, Denmark when I had my restaurant. It is from 1934 and is a Christmas favourite of ours:

Gløgg means " will warm you up" and believe me this will.

I always make a double portion as it will keep, but you will be surprise to see how quickly it goes!
and here it is.

Julianes Gløgg = "Heat me up at Christmas"


4 Bottles of full bodied red-wine
2 Bottles of Port
1 Bottle of Cognac
1 Bottle of Vodka


4 Cinnamon sticks
40 whole cloves
400 gram of sugar
1/2 a liter of water

200 gram of raisins marinated in port
100 gram of almonds flakes

Slowly boil water , sugar, cloves and cinnamon sticks for 10 minutes.
Add it to all the wine and alcohol and let it rest for a day.

Only heat up what you will need and DON'T let it boil

Serve it in a pre-heated glass with some raisins and almonds, put a spoon in the glass as you add the Gløgg and serve it right away.

One glass is lovely, -two is dangerous and don't drive after one glass

A very Merry Christmas to you all from Niall & Poul.

No comments: